Skip to main content

Student Concerns


The Office of Academic Engagement handles academic student concerns rising to the Office of the Provost.

Student Complaint Process

Student concerns will be addressed according to published protocol. For academic concerns, students must begin by interacting directly with the instructor in a respectful, professional manner. Nearly all concerns can be resolved at the level of the instructor in a collegial conversation.

The official process for addressing student concerns is located at the link below.  Please see the appropriate school or college Student Resolution Form below.

Student Resolution Forms


In accordance with VAC 40-31-100 of the Virginia Administrative Code, the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV) is responsible for investigating all written and signed student complaints against post-secondary educational institutions in Virginia, once a student has exhausted all available grievance procedures at the University. Please review the attached link for additional information: SCHEV Student Complaints Page.

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA)

Norfolk State University (NSU) is an institutional participant of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA), which allows online delivery of distance learning programs to residents of states other than Virginia.  All NSU licensure programs lead to a recommendation for a Virginia license.  Therefore, prospective students should review the specific academic requirements for the program in which they are enrolling.

Pursuant to the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, each institution of higher education is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints.  NSU consistently monitors ongoing developments in the relevant laws in every state.  If authorization becomes necessary, NSU will obtain the necessary approvals.

The following link provides a list of contacts for each state. If additional information is needed after a student has exhausted all available internal grievance procedures, the student may access the NC-SARA student complaint process.


Non-Academic Matters.  Please follow protocol located under the heading Student Advocacy.