Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Conference Services FAQs

Please see the frequently asked questions below.  If you do not see information you are looking for, email us at:

Application Process

All requests for the use of University facilities by outside organizations should be directed to the Conference Services Office. A non-refundable $25 application fee MUST accompany the application. A complete description of the activity must be submitted as part of the application package. The application should be completed and submitted to the Conference Services Office at least thirty (30) days prior to the event date.

A written estimate of expenses shall be provided along with the approved application. All expenses shall be borne by the requester. All expense rates are subject to change without notice - based on actual event(s). Fees will be charged based on approved fee schedule(s).

Payment Schedule

A deposit equal to fifty percent (50%) of the total charges or $100, whichever is higher, is required within seven (7) days after a formal approval is given by the University for the event. The balance must be paid seven (7) business days prior to the day of the event. Additional charges for damages or losses shall be assessed and billed separately within three (3) working days after the event. Payment shall be made upon receipt of the bill.

Faculty Usage Fees

Facility usage fees vary and depend on the space best suited for your specific event. Large athletic venues are available for rent by the day. Academic classrooms and lecture halls are available for rent by the hour and require a four hour minimum reservation. Other conference and banquet spaces are available for rent in either four- or eight-hour blocks, depending on the specific location(s). For specific rate information, please refer to the Conference Services and Events Policies for Facility Use and Fees Manual, available under Documents and Forms.

Technology / Audio-Visual Equipment

A variety of technology/ audio-visual equipment is available for reservation including:

  • Wall-mounted televisions
  • Projectors
  • Lecterns
  • Microphones
  • Speaker phone
  • Computer
  • Sound system

Additional charges may apply for rental of these items, including personnel services to operate the equipment.

Overtime / Additional Charges for Staffing

Usage fees apply to facility space only. Events requiring overtime or set expenses (including housekeeping, physical plant assistance, and equipment set up) may require additional charges for support services. Required equipment, supplies and personnel service charges shall be added to the bill.

Inclement Weather

If the university is closed due to inclement weather, all events are cancelled.  Conference Services will work with your organization to reschedule the event at a later date.

Food and Beverage

Requesters must contact the University’s Catering department for the provision of meals, snack and beverages for the event. Outside food or beverages cannot be brought onto campus for any event.  Norfolk State University Catering Services offers a variety of food options, from light fare to full-course fine dining.  Please contact Norfolk State University Catering Services at (757) 823-9476, send an email to or visit their website.

Liability and Insurance

The requester shall be liable for all damages resulting from the use of the facilities and services provided by the University. The requester shall agree to indemnify and hold harmless the University, its officers and employees against any and all liability claims for the loss, injury or damages to persons or property, including claims of employees of applicants or their agents, rising out of activities conducted by the University at the request of the applicant.

A Certificate of Liability Insurance must be submitted seven (7) business days prior to the day of the event. For specific information regarding insurance limits, refer to Page 3 and 4 of the Conference Services and Events Policies for Facility Use and Fees Manual,  available under Documents and Forms.


Norfolk State University reserves the right to assign University Police and security coverage to any event deemed a safety risk. The requester will be responsible for paying all costs associated with the event. Outside security may not be contracted in place of University Police and/or security. Prohibited activities include but are not limited to:

  • Fireworks and pyrotechnics
  • Fire arms and personal weapons
  • Undomesticated animals
  • Motorized performance competitions
  • Sound levels potentially harmful to spectators and staff, or disturbing to neighbors

For additional concerns or restrictions, please contact the University Police.

Conference Housing

Requests for conference housing will be coordinated with the Office of Residence Life and Housing. University residence halls used by the sponsoring organization for lodging or other purposes will be billed to the sponsoring organization accordingly.

Interested parties should submit a Group/Conference Housing Request (PDF) to initiate the process of securing on-campus housing. This form is only a request. An official Group/Conference Housing Agreement will be drawn upon approval of the request.

Parking Services

Norfolk State University Parking Services patrols all on-campus parking lots seven days per week. All vehicles parked on campus must either display a valid parking permit or be in a designated parking lot. Conference Services will work with University Parking Services to coordinate parking that is safe and convenient for your group. 

Advertising and Flyers

Advertising and publicity for an event is prohibited before the event is confirmed. No event is confirmed until the required deposit is received by Conference Services. 

Posting on campus by outside organizations is prohibited. Posters/flyers cannot be attached to doors, walls, windows, mirrors, trash cans, light posts, stairways, trees, utility poles, the outside of buildings or any other locations unless approved by Auxiliary Services.  Use of the University logo is prohibited.


Vendors for all events must be pre-approved by Auxiliary Services. A completed Non-Food Vendor Application and vendor fee is required for each vendor as well as a City of Norfolk Special Event Business License. Please contact Auxiliary Services at (757) 823-8085 for more information.