Student Conduct Code of Ethics
Norfolk State University is an urban academic community committed to the educational and social development of its students. All students at Norfolk State University have the duty to observe the rules and regulations of the University and uphold and accept its standards of ethical conduct. Students are expected to conduct themselves honorably, responsibly, ethically, and lawfully so as to enhance their honor, reputation, and usefulness as members of the Norfolk State University community. We have established this Code of Ethics, which forms the model of conduct for our students.
AS A SPARTAN, I PROMISE
TO SERVE MY UNIVERSITY WITH ENTHUSIASM AND LOYALTY;
* I will commit to serve our University community selflessly. I will give back to all who have provided for me in my development.
* I will attend a broad array of academic, cultural and athletic events on campus.
TO PLAN SMARTLY AND NOT PROCRASTINATE;
* I will endeavor to make the most of this opportunity, understanding that my time spent at the University is irreplaceable and short.
* I will complete classroom and homework assignments on time.
TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY ACTIONS;
* I will demonstrate physical and moral courage.
* I will accept responsibility for my mistakes and shortcomings.
* I will avoid deceptive acts and plagiarism, educating myself to select high-quality research sources and to cite borrowed words and ideas honestly and correctly.
* I will not lie, cheat or steal, nor will I tolerate such behavior in others.
* I will be honest to others and to myself.
TO RESPECT THE DIGNITY, RIGHTS AND PROPERTY OF ALL PEOPLE;
* I understand that I live among a community of individuals.
* I will always strive to treat others as I want to be treated.
* I will be considerate of others’ freedom to express themselves and respectful of others’ choices and lifestyles.
* I will not use offensive or profane language in any campus setting, including the grounds and residence halls.
* I will observe quiet hours during the regular school term and 24 hours during examination periods.
* I will respect all members of the Norfolk State University family and guests, arriving at events on time and departing when an event is over.
* I will properly use and care for University property.
TO THINK ANALYTICALLY, CREATIVELY, CRITICALLY AND RATIONALLY;
* I will challenge myself to excel academically and to be the best, realizing that academic growth is an incremental, continuous process.
* I will continue my lifelong pursuit of knowledge, both for personal and for professional learning.
TO ADHERE TO UNIVERSITY POLICIES;
* I will be fully aware of and abide by University policies and procedures.
* I will bring no drugs or alcoholic beverages onto campus, nor will I use them.
* I will not smoke in the residential halls or in common areas.
* I will turn off my cell phone or beeper while attending class and not use it to text.
* I will not permit a non-residential hall student to live and/or sleep in my room unless he or she has been granted prior written permission from the proper University officials.
* I will help to keep the University grounds and residence halls clean.
TO NURTURE A POSITIVE ATMOSPHERE OF CARE, CONCERN AND CIVILITY;
* I will demonstrate mature, responsible behavior that inspires trust and earns respect.
* I will contribute to a University environment which fosters good attitudes, friendliness, teamwork, equity and appreciation for all people.
* I will never use or threaten force against any person.
* I will resolve conflicts in a civil and respectful manner.