General Description: The Graduate Assistant for
Facilities (GAO) is a member of the Housing & Residence Life (HRL) team and
reports directly to the Associate Director for Administrative Services (ADAS).
The ideal candidate will be responsible for assisting with the administrative,
program logistics, and customer care functions of the Housing & Residence Life
Administrative Services Area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Candidates must have completed the requirements for a
Bachelor's degree from an accredited higher education institution and be
enrolled at Norfolk State University or a university within a 30 mile radius, as
a full-time, degree-seeking graduate student (at time of appointment).
- A GPA of 3.0 or better must be maintained as a
requirement for the position.
- Candidates must have a file in Housing & Residence Life
and completed assistantship application.
- Demonstrated skills in the following areas are highly
desired: critical thinking, working independently, communication, organizing,
attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, staying flexible, and
- Demonstrated qualities in the following areas are highly
desired: leadership and an interest in student growth and development.
- As the position is considered the graduate assistants
primary non-academic activity, the GAO may not accept any other employment
without prior written approval. Practicum and internships must have prior
- Assist ADAS with housing operations to include but
limited to completing outstanding maintenance, conducting regular residence hall
walk-throughs and checks, assisting vendors and contractors within the residence
halls and follow up with the ADAS regarding findings.
- Assist in development implementation and evaluation of
customer care initiatives with hall residents.
- Support HRL, RHA, RAC sponsored or co-sponsored events
and/or programs assisting with inventory management, logistics, setup, etc.
- Assistance with residence life functions and work
closely with the Division of Student Affairs as well as other university
departments to coordinate programming efforts.
- Assist in coordination of paraprofessional staff
recruitment, trainings, staff meetings, in-service training sessions, and all
appropriate retreats, workshops, or seminars assigned by HRL.
- Gather and study information and materials of current
trends that other universities are implementing to ensure HRL is consistent with
current trends and best practices.
- Actively participate in the Graduate Assistant
Professionals Program (G.A.P.P.) which enhances the graduate assistant
- Ability to work 30 hours per week.; desk coverage
(15hrs) role responsibilities (15)
- Participation in a rotating weekend on call duty
- Other duties as assigned.
Remuneration: The graduate assistantship is a 10
month position (training begins in late July and responsibilities ending in
mid-May). The GAO will receive a room and meal plan scholarship, and $15,000
stipend to be paid over the contracted period. As this position is classified as
a graduate assistantship, standard employee benefits are not offered.
For additional information, please contact the Associate
Director for Administrative Services:
Associate Director for Administrative Services
Housing & Residence Life, SSC 308
700 Park Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23504
Phone: (757) 823-8407
Fax: (757) 823-2304
Through exemplary teaching, scholarship, and outreach,
Norfolk State University transforms lives and communities by empowering
individuals to maximize their potential, creating life-long learners equipped to
be engaged leaders and productive global citizens.