General Description: The Graduate Assistant for Marketing & Communications reports directly to the Associate Director for Business Operations & Community Standards. The ideal candidate will be responsible for assisting with marketing, public relations, graphics design, social media, and communication strategies for the Office of Housing & Residence Life. The Graduate Assistant for Marketing & Communications serves as project lead for the ResLife Cinema program and coordinates program initiatives that promote positive media and technology use of Channel 46 to facilitate learning within the residential communities.
Responsibilities: Serve as project lead on specific marketing and promotional projects related to departmental programs and services; Assign tasks/projects to undergraduate staff members; Attend required staff development meetings/programs; Assist in the development of a departmental strategic marketing and communications plan; Assist with web development; Serve as project lead for the ResLife Cinema program; Coordinate event-based marketing initiatives; Develop posters, table tents, flyers, and other visual media; Assist in development of video-based training or promotional projects; Design documents, logos, graphics, and any visual media using software available; Provide photography assistance at events as needed; Meet with undergraduate student staff members to program marketing, layout, idea creation, and development; Assist with other duties as assigned by the AD or Executive Director.
- Candidates must have completed the requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher education institution and be enrolled at Norfolk State University or a university within a 30 mile radius, as a full-time, degree-seeking graduate student (at time of appointment). A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, Advertising, Mass Communications or similar field is preferred. Preferred graduate coursework: Counseling, Education, Psychology, Sociology, or similar field is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with marketing, general graphics design, and social media; Ability to organize and prioritize workload; Ability to multi-task while meeting multiple deadlines under stressful conditions at times; Ability to work with minimal supervision; Exceptional teamwork and communications skills; Exceptional customer service skills; Critical thinking skills; Attention to detail; Ability to present to diverse groups; Experience or demonstrated ability to apply a theoretical framework to promote student development and leadership.
- A GPA of 3.0 or better must be maintained as a requirement for the position.
- A minimum of 25 hours a week is required.
- Participation in a rotating weekend on call duty rotation.
- Serves as essential personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Other employment, practicum and internships must have prior written approval.
Skill development areas: Marketing, Communications, College Student Development, Learning Outcomes, Project Management, Technology
CAS Domains: Knowledge acquisition, integration, construction, and application; Cognitive complexity; Intrapersonal competence; Interpersonal competence; Practical competence.
Remuneration: This graduate assistantship is a 1500-hour position (mid-July thru mid-May). The selected candidate will receive a room and meal assistantship and $12.00/hr.
For additional information, please contact:
Faith M. Fitzgerald
Housing & Residence Life, SSC 308
700 Park Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23504
Phone: (757) 823-8407
Fax: (757) 823-2304