Photo Photo Photo
  Transferring Your SEVIS Record to NSU

In order to transfer your immigration record to Norfolk State University within the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), there are a number of steps you must follow.

Inform your old school’s International Student Advisor or other USCIS Designated School Official (DSO) of your intent to transfer to Norfolk State University. Make certain that the decision to transfer to Norfolk State University is final before notifying your DSO, as you will be not be able to obtain a new Form I-20 from more than one school.

Agree on a “release date” with your old school’s International Student Advisor. The “release date” is the date on which your SEVIS record will be accessible to Norfolk State University and no longer accessible to your previous school. This will also be the date on which you will no longer be allowed to work on your previous school’s campus. (Usually the end date of the semester.) Notify the Office of International Student and Scholar Services at Norfolk State University of your release date.

Have the International Student Advisor at your old school complete and return a copy of the Transfer Eligibility Certificate to Norfolk State University’s Office of International Student and Scholar Services. We must have positive verification of your legal F-1 status before we can issue you a Norfolk State University Form I-20.

You will receive your new Form I-20 once you have been admitted into a degree-seeking program, we have received the Transfer Eligibility Certificate; you have completed the SEVIS Information Form; and you have provided us with adequate documentation to prove financial support.

If you are traveling outside the U.S. between leaving your previous school and beginning at Norfolk State University, review the status of your immigration documents. If the F-1 visa in your passport has expired, you will need to apply for a new F-1 entry visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You will need to take your new I-20, a valid passport, and evidence of your financial resources in order to obtain a new visa. (Please note that your visa does not have to be annotated for attendance at Norfolk State University. As long as it is unexpired, then it may be marked with the name of your previous school.)

Transfer students are required by law to submit the following documents to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services within 15 days of the report date in item #5 of the SEVIS I-20, or will face reinstatement: 

  • I-20 Forms from all previous schools;
  • I-94 card; and
  • F-1 visa.

We will make copies of the documents as required by law. You will not be eligible to register for classes until you have submitted these documents to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Important! After you register for classes, the DSO will “activate your SEVIS record”. At that time, a new Form I-20 will be generated and issued with the following comment typed in the remarks section: “Transfer completed on mm/dd/yyyy.” You must schedule an appointment to pick up your new I-20. This is your final, official I-20 with which you should travel.

All incoming international student are required to attend the New International Student Orientation.

Please Note: you must be maintaining legal F-1 status at your previous institution in order to transfer to Norfolk State University through this procedure. If you are not currently in legal F-1 status, discuss the situation with your current international student advisor.

You may be able to apply for reinstatement to legal status at your current institution, or you may have to travel back home and re-enter the U.S. to reestablish your F-1 status.