Photo Photo Photo
  Immigration Information - F2 Dependent

F-2 Dependent

F-1 Spouses and Dependents

To qualify for F-2 status, a spouse or unmarried minor (under age 21) child must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry that:

S/he is the spouse or child of the F-1 visa holder by presenting a marriage certificate or birth certificate.

S/he has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses, or that other arrangements have been made to provide for such expenses once in the U.S.

S/he intends to leave the U.S. upon the termination of status of the principal F-1 student.

If the dependents are following to join the student, the F-1 student is, or will be within 30 days, enrolled in a full course of study or engaged in approved practical training following completion of studies.

F-2 visa holders receive their own Form I-20 with their own SEVIS ID number. F-2s may travel separately from the F-1, but will need to carry their own Form I-20 with a current DSO travel signature, current passport, and current visa for entry/reentry.

How do I request an I-20 for my spouse/ dependents?

Complete the Request for Dependent Visa Document form and return it to the Office of International Student & Scholar Services.

Obtain financial documentation that shows financial support in the amount of $3,800 per year for the first dependent and $2,500 for each additional dependent can be provided. The support must be guaranteed for your entire length of study at NSU.

Be prepared to provide health insurance for your spouse/dependents.

May I study as an F-2?

F-2 children may engage in full-time study at the elementary and secondary school level only (K-12th grade). F-2 spouses and children may study part-time, but only if the study is "vocational or recreational" in nature. If you wish to study full-time in degree-seeking status, you must apply for and receive a change of status to F, J, or M. F-2s cannot begin coursework until their change of status is approved.

How long may I stay in the U.S. in F-2 status?

An F-2 may remain as long as the F-1 maintains status.

What happens if my F-1 spouse or parent falls out of status?

If the F-1 student falls out of status, then the F-2 falls out of status as well, because his/her visa status is a derivative of the F-1. Keep in mind that like F-1 students, F-2 dependents are required to keep their passports valid at least 6 months into the future.

May I work as an F-2?

No. F-2 visa holders may not accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances.