In the event that a student attempts suicide, makes a threat or gesture of suicide, harms or attempts to harm himself or herself or undergoes severe emotional distress (e.g. displays delusional thought content, reports hallucinations) that compromises the student’s or others’ safety:
- Report such behavior to the NSU Police Department (757-823-9000) immediately.
- The NSU Police Department will assess the situation and take appropriate action.
- The student will then be required to undergo an evaluation by a Counseling Center counselor at a location determined by the NSU Police Department.
In cases where a student’s safety or the safety of others is not an issue, any member of the NSU community can refer a student to the Counseling Center (757-823-8173) for counseling in one of three ways:
- If you are meeting with the student you can contact the Counseling Center during this meeting and note that there is a student who you would want to meet with a counselor. Please let us know if you would like the student to be seen the same day. Then have the student speak with the Counseling Center staff member, who will schedule the student to meet with a counselor.
- You may bring the student to the Center located in Room 312 Student Services Building, and have the student schedule an appointment in person.
- You may ask the student to contact the Counseling Center and schedule an appointment.
If you would like to know if the student has followed up with the referral, by law the student will have to sign an Authorization to Release Information form in order for the Counseling Center to be permitted to acknowledge the student’s attendance.
| ||After Hours|
| ||Call NSU Police Department at 823-9000 to gain access to the on-call counselor|