SYE - Sophomore Year Experience
The Sophomore Experience program is designed to retain sophomore students at Norfolk State University by providing innovative and intrusive academic advising, connecting students to campus resources, and developing programs that guide students towards declaration of a major and eventual graduation.
- Learn about campus resources
- Promote self-responsibilityand decision making
- Utilize co-curricular activities NSU has to offer as a way to become engaged on campus
- Choosing a major, career, and/or internship
- Increasing their involvement in university clubs, organizations, community service and leadership opportunities
- Promote appropriate departmental advising support
- Provide services to undeclared sophomore students to increase major declaration by the second year.
- Develop proactive interventions and academic advising services to enhance the connection with targeted sophomore populations.
- Offer a variety of student support services and interactions that assist sophomore students in their progression toward graduation.
- Connect targeted student populations to career planning and career development information as provided through Career Services.
- Collaborate with key campus partners to serve on a steering committee in developing and promoting university-wide services to enhance the NSU experience, engagement, and retention of sophomore students.
Career Exploration and Selecting the Right Major
The Sigi 3 career exploration tool is a web-based survey system which is designed to assist you in selecting the correct major based upon your interests and latent skills and abilities. Visit the Career/Major Exploration web portal.
- Welcome Back Celebration
- Majors Fair
- Majors Discussion Panel
- Academic Skills Seminar
- Speaker Series
- Sophomore Summit
- Sophomore Half Way Celebration
- Rising Sophomores Ignite Your Future Program