To preserve delegated budget, Procurement Services highly recommend departments to consider reutilizing assets within the Central/Receiving Warehouse, when it is cost-effective to do so. The Manager of Central/Receiving Warehouse is the designated NSU representative for authorizing the approval of surplus property.
How to Surplus Property
In order to keep an accurate record of all item(s) that is being transferred or sent to surplus property, the following procedures have been created to make the process easier:
- Identify all item(s) for surplus.
- An Inventory Change Form is filled out by the transferring department and sent to Central/Receiving Warehouse with appropriate signatures. Since this form also acts as a work order for surplus property pick up, it is not necessary to submit a separate request.
- For furniture, equipment, etc. – List all University tag or serial number(s), if applicable.
- For computers – Contact O.I.T to clear all data before submitting for surplus. Only the items listed on the Inventory Change Form will be picked up.
- Fax a copy of the Inventory Change form with the Department Head’s signature to 757-823-9129.
- Inventory Change forms must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. every Thursday in order for surplus to be picked up on Friday mornings.
- Central/Receiving Warehouse Manager will then sign the form for approval and notify department of scheduled pick up time, if applicable.
- Item(s) will then be placed in the Central/Receiving Warehouse or transferred to another department.
Note: Department are responsible for surplus until it has been picked up. ** Do not place surplus property in the hallways. **
Requesting Surplus Property
To request surplus property call Central/Receiving Warehouse to schedule a time to view available property. Once item(s) have been chosen, Central/Receiving Warehouse will tag and set a delivery time for the requesting department.
If you have any questions on the surplus process or to request a list of available surplus items, please feel free to contact, Central/Receiving Warehouse Manger, at 757-823-8862.