Postal General Guidelines
All campus mail must meet the mail piece design and preparation guidelines.
Student Address Format
- Please use the name non the NSU ID for the incoming mail. Do not use nicknames!
- Use the format below:
700 Park Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23504-8080
Picking Up Mail
- Students must have picture identification in order to pick up accountable mail and packages.
- The NSU Mailroom will not be responsible for cash in the mail.
- Check your mailbox daily.
- Mail will be "returned to sender" after 10 days.
- Lost combinations will be distributed between 1:00 - 3:00pm only!
- Postal regulations require that all mailers using a meter machine have a return address
- All mail must be properly indentified with the department's name, five-digit account or grant number, and university address.
Mail Piece Design & Preparation Guidelines
- All campus mail must meet the mail piece design and preparation guidelines.
- All letters sent to the mailroom for processing and postage must remain unsealed with flaps turned down to simplify machine sealing.
- All mail of like weight and size should be grouped together and secured with a rubber band.
- All 8 x 11 1/2" or larger manila envelopes must be closed with a metal clasp or tape.
- Mail failing to conform to these guidelines will be returned to the originating department.
- Interdepartmental envelopes should be used for all campus mail.
- Letterhead envelopes should be used for official campus mail only.
Campus Mail, Outgoing Mail and Personal Mail
- Campus mail should not be mixed with official outgoing mail.
- Personal mail should be separated from official outgoing mail.
Mail Classes and Special Services
First Class - Mail matter that may be mailed as first class mail.
Priority - Delivered in two- three days no guarantee.
Third Class - Circulars, booklets, catalogs, newsletters, printed matter
Fourth Class - Library materials, books, film, quantity discounts, and first class pre-sort
Accountable Mail - Express, international, and business reply mail
NSU reserves the right refuse to box any campus mail that is not compatible with NSU standards. This mail will be considered undeliverable and returned to the sender. It will be discarded if there is not a return address.
Norfolk State University will not be responsible for cash received or sent in the mail.