Welcome to the Early Childhood/Elementary and
Special Education Website
"Preparing Competent, Compassionate, Collaborative,
and Committed Leaders"
The Early Childhood/Elementary and Special Education Department (EESE) provides undergraduate and graduate
programs for students seeking preparation to work with children in the community, agencies, and PreK-12 school settings. The teacher education programs are approved by the Virginia Department of Education (DOE)
and accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (
(NCATE). The EESE Programs provide instruction, field experiences, and clinical practices that develop excellence in teaching skills to serve diversified populations.
- The Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Early Childhood Education prepares individuals to work in pre-school settings.
- The Pre K-3 and Pre K-6 Elementary Education and K-12 Special Education General certification degrees result in a Virginia teaching license for the specified discipline.
- The Master of Arts (MA) degree in Pre-Elementary has the birth through age nine concentration.
- Early Childhood Special Education birth through age five (add-on teacher certification endorsement) degree is an optional concentration areas of study for the MA degree in Pre-Elementary.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education Pre K-6 (MAT.ECE) certification endorsement degree results in a Virginia teaching license.
The Master of Arts (MA) degree in Special Education has four areas of study. The Vision Impairment endorsement is offered.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Office - 757-823-2700, Norfolk State University, 700 Park Ave., Norfolk, VA 23540
Norfolk State University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political affiliation, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities in admission to, participation in, or receipt of the services and benefits under any of its programs and activities, whether carried out directly or through a third-party, or any other entity with which Norfolk State University arranges to carry out its programs and activities.