3. Professional Teacher’s Assessment Requirements
To satisfy the state of Virginia's Testing Requirement for entry into Initial Licensure Programs, students must pass the Praxis Core Academic Core Skills (or equivalent) tests or Praxis I (or equivalent) if passed before January 1, 2014. Praxis II (if applicable to program), the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA), and the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) passing scores are required before student teaching.
- Praxis Core Academic Skills test (or equivalent) is an academic skills assessment of mathematics, reading, and writing and must be passed before enrolling in methods of teaching courses.
- Praxis II is a content knowledge exam for teachers and must be passed before program completion, if applicable to your program.
- VCLA is a test of communication, reading, and writing skills.
- VRA is a test of students' knowledge of reading instruction.
Students are responsible for providing copies of the Praxis or equivalent test results to the program's advisor and copies of all other assessment copies are included in the student teaching application packet.
When reporting results for Praxis II, students must submit a paper copy of the “Examinees Score Report.” to the Center for Professional Development. The Examinees Score Report is sent to the student by ETS, and it provides detailed score information that the Center for Professional Development is required to collect. (This information is NOT available on the “Designated Institution Score Report” sent to Norfolk State by ETS.)
- Information about test registration is available on the Center for Professional Development’s webpage.